Sunday, August 30, 2009

Bus Ride

I'm returning to SF to help my mom through surgery, but Sue and the family will be staying in San Miguel. For my travel, I booked a flight through Volaris, a new Southwest style airline serving Mexico. There was a direct flight from Toluca to Oakland, and as such, I had to get from San Miguel to Toluca (which is near Mexico City).

Antonio drove me to Queretaro, about an hour away, and from there I bought a bus ticket to Toluca, which was a three hour ride, for about $12. Sue told me that the Mexican buses were actually really nice, but I was surprised at how civil the whole experience was. The bus was clean, comfortable, and had Spanish dubbed movies playing the whole time. When I boarded, they even gave us free water bottles and some cookies. I'd definitely do that again.

The ride was also a great way to see the countryside. I think I saw more car junkyards on that trip than I'd ever seen in my life. The countryside was pretty, except for the amount of trash along the road, which coming from the USA seems just wrong.

The Volaris flight was nice. Given that it's a new airline, the plane was one-third full, which is pretty rare these days. They even had power plugs under every seat for laptops, etc. I'll probably take Volaris again when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment