Monday, August 17, 2009

Buying cell phones

Since our AT&T iPhones are $0.99 per minute here (or $0.59/minute with an extra $5.99/month), it seemed to make sense for Sue and I to get our own phones. Bryce was very excited about the thought of adding new electronic gadgets to our household, so the two of us went out and looked at cell phones. We bought two, and some prepaid phone cards. So far so good. All in all about 1200 pesos, or $80 or so, for two phones and 120 minutes of talk time. (You can pay as you go here.)

Once we were all ready, the woman informed me that we would have to get them "registered". I asked where, and she told me "Atencion de Clientes Telcel". I asked her where that was and she didn't know, but said it was next to the Banamex. Not very helpful.

It turns out that any cell phone needs to be tied to a person in Mexico - this is their way to try to combat drug trafficking and kidnapping (which is almost exclusively at the US border). So, I have to go find the Telcel customer service building, and get our phones registered. I think I may have to be fingerprinted as well. Fortunately, the Internet was able to help be find the building, so I'll get this done tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment