Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Independencia Celebration

Tonight was the long anticipated Independencia celebration, and I was lucky enough to make it down to the Jardin just in time for the fireworks, which started at 11 PM. We were warned that it would be a mob scene, so Sue and the kids stayed home and I ventured down by myself.

They had erected a large sculpture with firecrackers everywhere, as well as some "spark throwers" and "flying saucers". It was pretty packed, which gave the whole thing a tremendous energy. The firecracker thing was pretty cool, and went on for 20 minutes or so.





Unfortunately for Sue and the kids, there weren't many traditional fireworks that they could see from the house. But they still got a good show.


Fireworks from our house.

After the fire show, hundreds of people were dancing in front of the Parroquia. It's only the second time in my life that I've seen people literally dancing in the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment