Saturday, December 12, 2009

Many Jobs. No Job.

Sam observed the other day that the Americans here fall into two categories. The ones that have been here a long time seem to have many jobs. One family we know runs a B&B, a home accessories business, an organic farm and store, and is building a housing development outside of town. Another runs a bar and does property management. Another runs a restaurant and a bath supply store. I think it's hard to earn money here for Americans, especially at the scale we are used to, so many locals try several different things.

The more recent arrivals, with me being the exception, have no job, and are living off of savings or retirement or something. They are trying to figure out how to "make it work".

I guess a third category is the traveling-husband family, where hubby stays in the USA and works while mom and the kids are living here. The husband arrives for a week or so every five or six weeks. I have met a couple of families that are taking that approach.

I'm lucky. The Internet has made it possible for me to do this adventure, but it's strange how I haven't met anyone else here who works over the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment